Equity in Practice: A guidebook for transit agencies, co-written by TransitCenter and CNT, details our research into how the public transit industry defines, operationalizes, and evaluates equity. We assessed industry practices that forefront equity in leadership and strategy, community engagement, and evaluation/measurement.
Some very high-level actions items for transit agencies are to:
- Develop an equity strategy that defines a vision of equity and that guides new priorities to achieve that goal.
- Prioritize equity across organizational processes, policies, and culture: in agency leadership, structure, hiring & retention, budgeting, and workplace culture.
- Conduct collaborative, responsive, iterative, and transparent outreach; hire CBOs to support.
- Evaluate equity in decision-making with multiple metrics, including with qualitative data.
- Demand more effective equity regulations and evaluations.
CNT and TransitCenter are now putting these findings into practice by working directly with two transit agencies, the Chicago Transit Authority (CTA) and Los Angeles Metro (LA Metro), to advance their equity goals. More on these projects will be shared as they advance.